Illinois Child Support Attorney

Illinois Child Support Attorney

When a divorce involving minor children is granted in Illinois a child support payment is set by the judge.  If there has been a change of circumstances after the divorce order the amount of child support may be changed if certain factors are met.  Typically, the non-custodial parent will pay support to the custodial parent.

Illinois courts use the Illinois Child Support Guidelines to determine the amount of child support owed each month.  The amount owed is based on the income of the non-custodial parent and ranges from twenty percent if there is one child to fifty percent if there are six or more minor children.  These amounts may vary, however, if the court finds that the guidelines are inappropriate considering the best interests of the child or children.

The goal of child support is to allow the minor children involved to continue to live with the standard of living they would have had if the divorce had never occurred.  Of course, if the situation of either parent has changed due to things beyond their control, then the court is allowed to consider those factors.  This expected standard of living is assigned whether the parents were ever married or not.

If your situation has changed, or the situation of your child’s other parent has changed, and you believe that the child support should be adapted for the best interest of your child, then call Carbondale, IL child support attorney Brian Roberts.  Brian has handled many child support modifications, divorces, and other family matters for people in Carbondale, IL and through southern Illinois.

Occasionally, situations occur that make child support modifications necessary.  These may include accidents for which there is no insurance to cover the loss of employment, a sustained growth of income for the either parent, or the sustained decline of income for either parent.  If you find yourself in one of these situations, or any situation where your income has dropped and you are unable to make your child support payments, or where the other parents income has increased and your child is entitled to more support, then contact us right now.